Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Summer goals

You will frequently hear people in grad school tell you they wish they had a 40 hour/week 9-5er.  This is, of course, not only because we would be making more than $588/biweekly, but also because in grad school it is impossible to leave work at work.  That's why they tell you that you won't finish unless you have a passion for what it is you are studying cause at some point you are gonna hate it and be sick of it.

Summers are me time.  Of course me time also includes doing stuff for school that I don't get any credit for, like working on polishing papers for publication and the like.  However, I do also get some time to kick my heels up and RELAX...something I'm pretty much incapable of the rest of the year for more than a few hours at a time.  As soon as I handed in my last paper today I jumped in the car and drove to AC, do not pass go; hopefully collect more than $200.

At any rate here is my list of things to do over the summer.  I'm posting it here to keep myself honest.

School stuff:
1) work on some papers to try to get them publishable or at least presentable at a conference.
2) study for comps
3) finish paper for class I have an incomplete in
4) firm up dissertation idea
5) prep for class I'm teaching in the Fall

Me stuff:
1) Get healthy(ier).  This entails actually going to the gym on a set schedule, not eating fast food, and getting more regular sleep.  Should help with stress reduction too.
2) Get out of the house and go places.  Thinking of going at least to the Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland since I've always wanted to go.  This also entails me going out with Melissa like we discussed at dinner on Sunday night.  :)
3) Read a book/week...or at least a couple/month.
4) Get myself ramped up for Fall semester...my last semester of FT course work before I really need to start being a "real" grad student and thinking about an exit strategy (doing my dissertation and all that fun stuff).  LOL

I dunno, I think most of those are doable goals.  We'll see how I did at the end of the Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment