Friday, May 23, 2008

AC update

So, my trip could have been better, but also could have been worse, for sure.  Especially considering I was pretty stuck in my first four hours at the felt due to a series of unfortunate beats (at the Borgata).

After going back to Harrah's, grabbing dinner, and noticing their poker room was packed (they had several 2/5s, a 5/10, and waitlists for everything...every table in the room was full and they were spreading NL on their stud tables) because of a 200k bad beat, I decided to grab a seat over there.  Where I promptly made my money back, and then some.  Hooray!

I also ended up sitting next to this guy (Omar) who knew a friend of a friend in college.  We started talking, and ended up exchanging numbers cause he plays an apparently very good game on Sundays and Wednesdays downtown.  He said it's one of those games where the local business owners and college kids with too much money throw it around without having any idea what they are doing.  OK, I'm definitely down for that.

Anyways, our table got real short around 6am at which point I went to bed in my fabulous upgraded waterfront room.  I love Harrahs.  They like giving me free stuff (got the room for free) and when I checked in they were like: "we'd like to upgrade you to the new Waterfront Tower."  Hellz yeah.

These rooms are really nice.  Fairly large, have a fridge and a giant flat screen tv mounted on the wall, really nice bathroom with the best hotel shower I've ever seen, and, not that it matters that much, but I liked the colors the room was done in.  Only downside is that the rooms are right near the pool and thus, somewhat of a hike from the poker room.  BUT, I don't really like playing at Harrah's that much anyways and the rooms are the closest to the front where the valet and taxis are, so...

The next day I got a late start.  Went downstairs to try to get in on some of the jackpot action.  Ended up making some money at my table by the time the jackpot hit around 5:30pm (quad nines vs. nine high sf).  As soon as the jackpot hit, it was a mass exodus from the room.  Five full tables literally broke around us.  People were offering to split cabs to the 'gata.  It was crazy.

So I end up over at the Borgata and double up fast thanks to some guy trying to play push around the girl when i had KK on a non-scary board.  However, an hour before Jon and Sarah were supposed to meet me for dinner, I end up flopping top set vs. this guy's straight.  I should have probably just folded...he was playing really conservatively post flop.  If I had folded after all the raising when I was like: do you really have 79? (there had been a $15 pf raise and he was out of position) and not called his all in, I could have saved myself $150...  and $150 is $150.  But I didn't and ended up leaving that table even....  sucked.

At this point in the trip, I am up for the trip even after expenses (some tax on the room, internet, gas and tolls...I ate for free the whole week off of comps).  Wish I could have hung on to some more of that profit though...... 

Sarah and Jon and I ended up at the Borgata buffet.  I'd never been there before, but I would recommend it for sure.  Very good.  They wanted to see my room, so then we went back to Harrah's.  Jon loves roulette, so he beelined over there and Sarah and I just hung out for awhile.  I ended up getting a text from Omar asking me about the action over at Harrah's and I had to inform him that the jackpot had already been hit...  but that got me thinking that I wanted to get back to playing poker to try to make some $$$.

And thus started a horrible session.  I ended up at a table with 6 horrible (and I mean really HORRIBLE) players who were running like Hiatt against me over and over again.  Oh look I have AA.  Middle pair calls my giant bets the whole way only to spike a board pairing middle pair on the river.  When I say "Middle pair, really???" and muck she tells me that the $600 she has in front of her is only the smallest of dents in her losses.  "I believe it," I think.  Similar things happened with two pair versus two pair, etc., etc.  To make a long story short, I ended up leaving this table stuck $400.  Which is not really that bad except these players were horrible and it made me angry that I couldn't relieve them of their money.  This guy was also trying really hard to pick me up, which I found amusing since I was completely scrubbed out, having not packed many of my toiletries or more than a change of clothes.  He was cute, but sorry, I'm not gonna go back to some random guy I don't know's apartment in AC.  I'm stupid sometimes, but not that stupid.

I almost went and dumped some money on bj or roulette after this session, but managed to steer myself away from the pits. 

After sleeping in as much as I could (since I had to check out), I got my car out of valet and drove over to the Borgata for one last session.  Strangely enough, I ended up being seated at Omar's table and after 5 hours or so I had made back some of the money I had lost the night before and ended up even for the trip after expenses (which for this trip were small).

On the drive home, all I could think of though, was how I would be up a ton if not for that last session at Harrahs.  Boo. 

Have another couple of free rooms in June, so I'll be going up again at some point to take a shot at making some more money.  Also, I realized I have not been to Foxwoods in six months...gotta get up there at some point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment