Sunday, May 18, 2008

End of semester wrap up

Students' finals are taken and in my car trunk, partially graded.  All papers are finished (well except for the one that I have to have done by July to get rid of my incomplete from last semester).  Basically the semester is over.



Tuesday I'm headed up to AC.  I'm also gonna do some grading while I am up there and try to get all my students' grades submitted.



Then after that who knows.  We gotta study for comps in August.  I gotta write that paper by July (should take me a few days once I sit down and do it).  I want to clean up some of my existing papers and try to submit them for publication or conference presentation.



What to do the rest of the summer?  First, I need to do some life recalibration.  For the past 7 months I've been putting me on the back burner while I try to get through school.  I've been largely unhappy the past year and I need to sit back and evaluate my life, who I am, where I am going, what I want, get rid of some unhealthy habits...  all that good stuff.  And what better time to do it than the year I turn 30?



Been thinking about maybe taking a few weeks off to roadtrip.  I'm supposed to go out with the degens to Vegas at the end of June and I've been thinking that instead I might just end up driving out there, stopping at a few friends' houses along the way, and swinging through San Francisco on the way home.  It will depend on what our schedule is like for comp studying.  I definitely feel like some kind of solo trip is in order this summer to help me with the goals listed in the previous paragraph.  When and where it will be is up in the air, but in my experience, solo roadtrips are the best way to spend a lot of time with yourself.  Sitting at home, I am always distracted by television, the internet, friends, etc.  But on the road, just you and your car, you can't get away from yourself so easily.



No comments:

Post a Comment