Sunday, June 8, 2008

Folding the nut one pair in a cash game

Last night at Pops', I had an unfortunate hand and I folded on the turn and never found out what the other guy had.  I absolutely HATE it when people pester me to tell them what I had, especially after I've already politely declined to say, so I never ask anyone else what they have either.  But this hand is killing me.

A couple hands after I took a beat, I wake up to AA in the cutoff.  I'm sitting on just over $300.  The rock is in play and there are lots of limpers, so I make it $20 to go.

Ross, immediately to my left on the button calls.  Everyone else folds til it gets around to Vince who is two to my right.  He calls.

Flop is 456 rainbow.  Vince checks to me and I c-bet just under pot.  Ross instamucks.  Vince instacold calls.  Arrooooo?

A black K comes on the turn and I smile internally, thinking this could be a great scare card for me.  Vince checks to me again.  I instabet around 1/2 pot, thinking if he flopped a set, he could lay it down to me now.  He has definitely made some big folds against me in the past.

Now Vince goes into the tank.  Forever.  So I guess it was a good bet.  Except that after tanking for like 3 minutes, he comes over the top.  At which point I instamuck.  After all, as I tell Pops later, I only had one shit dog pair.

I don't know why this hand stuck in my head.  Maybe because I lost a good part of my stack.  But I am fairly certain he flopped a set (or somehow flopped a straight, but I don't think he would have tanked so long if he had).  If there was a flush draw out there too, maybe I could have convinced myself that he had a straight draw/flush draw combo, but no flush draw was out there.

Thoughts about how this hand played out are appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment