Saturday, June 14, 2008

Black is the new black

Well hallelujah, I actually made some money this past trip to AC...a couple hundred after expenses.  This money was immediately handed over to Bank of America to pay off my credit card.  Not having a job (or any guaranteed positive cash inflow) sucks, but I will admit that it has inspired me to play better, and manage my bankroll better (the latter is probably most significant change and I'm actually kinda surprised what a difference a few changes here and there have actually made).  This might not be saying much, but I've also been playing some of the best poker I've ever played over the past month (yes I still do the dumb shit from time to time more than I'd like to, but I've been happy with the changes I've made to a couple of aspects of my game).  It's really nice to put consistent wins (even if they are not huge hits) and/or minor losses in my spreadsheet, as opposed to some of the bigger losses I have had to type in over the past 6 months.  This is gonna sound dumb, but I'm surprised at how effective actually getting up from the table when I'm a certain percentage ahead...or taking a break when I'm swinging down has really made in my bottom line. 

I have also decided that I can't ever claim to run bad after seeing how good (and by that I mean not good) this one guy was running up at the Borgata a few days ago.  When I first sat down at the table, he ran his nut flush into another guy's 2 card straight flush.  It was pretty obvious that the one guy (table rock) had the sf, but it's hard to fault the nut flush guy for not folding.  Not 5 hands later (after rebuying for table max), he woke up with KK against my 55 in a multiway pot.  Flop was 5K5.  Case K did not show up, all the money got in on the turn when the flush got there, and the guy was seriously confused when the dealer did not push him the pot after he insta-tabled his hand, slamming it on the felt and yelling: "I flopped it!"  I quietly turned over my hand and said: "I did too."  I'm a very empathetic person away from the felt, but usually I don't feel bad for people I'm in hands with at the table.  However, I felt horrible for this guy.  Talk about running bad.  Stack off with the second nuts twice in the space of 20 minutes when both times you think you have the nuts.

Sadly, I was unable to avoid table games.  Happily, I didn't ship it at them.  Plus I got to spend some time with Jon and Sarah, which is always fun.  We had a rather entertaining dinner at Harrah's.

I also continued my winning streak at pink, except for the fact that this week I only cashed out $10 profit.  However, a win is a win...I'll take it.  My new philosophy: +$10 is a lot better than -$300.  Small wins and/or breaking even allow my big hits to put me further in the black rather than less in the red.  And black is a good place to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment