Friday, June 6, 2008

Do I live in Laurel or New Orleans?

Back when I lived in Rockville, our power went out in the summer constantly, like maybe once a week.  But it was always back on in a few hours.  Since moving to Laurel in the Summer of 2006, the power there has yet to go out, so I guess I'm lucky, but I would definitely rather have the power our repetitively for a few hours than once every two years for > two days.  I kind find something to do for a few hours.  Trying to live without power for days on end on the other hand...that is another story.

Wednesday afternoon a huge storm rolled through the neighborhood.  Lightning hit a tree in my neighborhood (and caused it to topple over, narrowly missing a house).  The power went out Wednesday afternoon, but I have the internet on a UPS so I was at least able to be on the internet the first few hours of the outage.

That evening I had the kickoff study group meeting for my comprehensive exam and plans after that too, so I figured it would be back on when I got home.  3am Thursday I get home and my power is still not on.

That's OK, it will be on when I get up.  I crash for several hours, but of course manage to wake up significantly earlier than I have in the past month.  But I had no clue what time it was because my power was still not on.  Great.  Now all the food in my freezer/fridge will have to be tossed.  Plus this week summer finally arrived to DC so it's like 80 degrees in my house.  Not to mention, no internet, tv, cooking, clothes washing, dishwashing, etc.  I read two books yesterday until one of my flashlights' batteries ran out.  I needed a flashlight because I'm camped out in the basement trying to avoid the heat of the rest of the house.

So I gave up and went over to Keenan's to check email and play some cards, etc.  End up going home around 2:30 am thinking: "Surely my power will be on by now!"  Uh, no.  And no, it was not on when I woke up just before noon this morning either.

I'm on campus now checking email, catching up on work that, you know, requires power, and picking stuff up from my school mailbox.  If I'm lucky, maybe power will be on when I get home...but I've been saying that to myself for the last 50 hours, so I guess I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.  Life without power sucks!



No comments:

Post a Comment