Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sushi!

There have been quite a few things I haven't blogged about recently, but I can't spend my whole life blogging.  Blevins has been after me ("Why did you blog about our degenerate outing to go see 'The Grand?'  Why didn't you blog about going to the O's game?" etc etc.) to post these things, but you might notice that he does not get a link on his name because HE DOES NOT HAVE A BLOG.  ;)  Simple fact is, this is a super busy time of year for me, and blogging about everything I've done has just fallen by the wayside while I try to get other stuff done.



I love sushi.  My freshman year a bunch of us headed up to the old Cafe Asia in Dupont for happy hour (and they never carded...though we got kicked out one time when Vinnie started bringing in his own vodka) every Thursday afternoon.  Then later some of my best female friends and I had a standing sushi date every Sunday at this place in Rosslyn (which sadly no longer exists).  Alexis, Jessica, Erica, and I would show up to our old sushi place (Appetizers Plus - what a name) every Sunday from 1998-2002, stuff ourselves at their Sunday sushi buffet, have lots of crazy girl talk, and then go watch Sex and the City.  Even after I moved out to the burbs in the Summer of 2000, I still made the Sunday trek for sushi and gossip.  Ah, the good old days.  More recently Alexis and I used to meet up at Uni pretty frequently when she worked across the street, but even that has fallen by the wayside since I've been in school and since she took a new job.  Erica moved to Rhode Island and got married.  I haven't seen Alexis or Jess in forever even though we periodically send notes over the interwebs.



But anyways, Anne and I had planned to go to sushi happy hour at Sushi Uni in Dupont tonight, but by the time I got done with sections at 5pm I was sweaty and tired and didn't want to travel all the way down to DC.  I asked her if there was someplace closer to home that we could go to and she suggested this place in Laurel which is literally around the corner from my house.  So to Asahi we went.



Showed up and ordered our sushi on the little card things.  Anne and I actually had a conversation about how whenever we order sushi our eyes are bigger than our stomaches but we proceeded to order a ton anyways.  As it turns out, the waitress took a liking to us or something and proceeded to bring us a salad with ginger dressing, miso soup, some roasted veggies in a sweet and spicy sauce, and some kind of fried rice dish.  When we protested that we didn't order all of that (thinking she had brought us someone else's order) she told us it was on the house.  Wow - OK.



So then our sushi shows up on two giant platters and we realize we are never going to be able to finish it all.  We both put a good size dent in it before giving up.  I have to say, they have some really good and different types of rolls, especially for a sushi place in a strip mall in the middle of route 1.



We got our bills and then the waitress brought us out more free food - two things of ice cream: 1 green tea and one red bean.  Never being ones to say no to ice cream, especially when it is free, Anne and I had several bites of each before deciding we needed to leave before our stomaches exploded, seagull-style.  The ice cream was way better than the mochi we used to get at Appetizers Plus, but nowhere near as good as the fried banana goodness that they had at Cafe Asia.  But again, it was free, so I am not complaining.



The next few days are gonna be super busy.  I gotta get my RelPol paper in order tonight and tomorrow.  I am supposed to play on the GVPT Guerillas (we are so clever, huh?) kickball team tomorrow, plus there is pink at night.  Pops' on Saturday and I'm supposed to meet with/call Melissa to give her feedback on her paper at some point Saturday.  Have to prepare for the RelPol debate on Monday.  Gotta get a draft of my Participation paper done before Wednesday.  Calgon take me away.....!



No comments:

Post a Comment