Sunday, April 6, 2008

Fall 2008 schedule

Well, I'm definitely not going to ICPSR at Michigan this summer for stats classes.  They run two sessions, and the only one of any use to me in terms of classes they are offering is the latter one.  Unfortunately, this session ends 5 days before the American politics comprehensive exam (my primary field exam) that I am taking in August.  On top of ICPSR eating into my time for comp studying this summer, I cannot imagine having to deal with the logistics of finals, moving out of a sublet apartment, driving back home, etc., etc. right before comps.  The exam is a 36 hour take home exam...and even the saner older students who have taken it tell stories of not eating, sleeping, or showering for the entire 36 hours...and then needing at least a week of doing nothing before they feel human again.  The comp I had to take for my MA was closed book and 7 hours in a computer lab.  I am not sure that open book for 36 hours is a better (or less stressful) system.



But I digress...



Since I am not going to ICPSR, I'm gong to have to load up on methods classes this fall.  The plan is to take my second field comp (aka my methods comp) in January 2009, but it might be pushed back to next August.  I need to take at least three more methods classes between now and that comp.



Just registered for classes the other day and here is what my Fall schedule looks like so far:



Monday: nothing



Tuesday: 3:00-5:40pm SURV 632 - Social and Cognitive Foundations of Survey Measurement:
Major sources of survey error-such as reporting errors and nonresponse
bias-from the perspective of social and cognitive psychology and
related disciplines. Topics: psychology of memory and its bearing on
classical survey issues (e.g., underreporting and telescoping); models
of language use and their implications for the interpretation and
misinterpretation of survey questions; and studies of attitudes,
attitude change, and their possible application to increasing response
rates and improving the measurement of opinions. Theories and findings
from the social and behavioral sciences will be explored.   



6:30-9:30pm GVPT 743 - Contemporary political theory:
Theorists from Nietzsche (1884-1900) to the present will be covered
with a focus on the apparent failure of the Enlightenment to usher in
an age of peace and reason.
 
This is a requirement that I have been putting off forever.  I don't really enjoy theory classes at all, but at least I don't have to take ancient.  I read way too much Plato as an undergrad.  I actually enoyed the Nietzsche and more modern stuff I was exposed to in college, so hopefully this won't be that bad.  Class until 9:30 at night might be interesting though. 



Wednesday: nothing



Thursday: 4:15 - 7:00pm EDMS 657 Factor Analysis:
Development of models for factor analysis and their practical
applications. Treatment of factor extraction, rotation, second-order
factor analysis, and factor scores. Introduction to linear structural
relations models.



Friday: probably TA-ing.  There is a survey design course I would also like to take but it's Friday from 1-4 which will likely conflict with work.  If it doesn't, I'll drop the factor analysis class and take that one instead.



Bonus: my earliest class looks like it starts at 3pm.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment