Friday, January 25, 2008

Step 3 is the hardest

"The process of overcoming bias requires (1) first noticing the bias,
(2) analyzing the bias in detail, (3) deciding that the bias is bad,
(4) figuring out a workaround, and then (5) implementing it. It's
unfortunate how many people get through steps 1 and 2 and then bog down
in step 3, which by rights should be the easiest of the five. Biases
are lemons, not lemonade, and we shouldn't try to make lemonade out of
them - just burn those lemons down." - Eliezer Yudkowsky

This is one of my favorite quotes; it's been in my favorite quotes section on facebook for awhile.  It's one of my favorites because it is so true, and applicable to pretty much every aspect of life.  It does seem like the most difficult step in many things in life is deciding that something unhealthy or negative is, in fact, unhealthy and negative.  I tend to think: "Well, x, y, and z are bad, but who cares!" more than I should.



I'm going to pink tonight and I'm going to try to play good.  For me these days that primarily means reigning in my tilt.  My mental state is a lot better than its been in months; I know that's going to help.



No comments:

Post a Comment