Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Remembering Vietnam: The Wall at 25

When I lived downtown, I used to frequently visit museums, memorials, and parks.  Jogging or walking to a lot of these places, with my trustee walkman (this was in the days before ipods) was my thinking time.  One of my favorite places to go on these jaunts was to the Vietnam Wall, not just because it was a straight shot down 23rd street, but because it was so moving to see other people in their experience interacting with the wall, and a moving monument in its own right.  My favorite time of the day has always been dawn and that was definitely my favorite time to jog down to the wall...POW/MIA vendors just setting up their stalls, but mostly empty, peaceful, and quiet.

I was reminded of one of my favorite thinking spots again tonight while I watched this show on the Wall on the Smithsonian channel (one of my favorite tv channels these days).  I knew most of the stuff on the show, but it was well done, and worth checking out if you get a chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment