Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I knew there was a reason!

Back in the day, I used to be a total news junkie...mostly tv.  Some time after 9/11/01, however, I stopped watching the local/nightly news because I was turning into a stressed out zombie (having your office evacuated on 9/11, seeing the pentagon on fire first hand, then having your office evacuated from possible anthrax attack, followed by the DC sniper shooting people right down the street from where you live will do that).

It's been amazing since then every time I turn on the news how depressing it is.  I can get the same news from the paper and not have it affect me the same way.  But today, just got home, turned on the local news...

Story 1: AIG and the 90 billion bailout.  Stock market is screwed.  Fed having to sell stuff to afford the bailout.  Some money market funds are freezing accounts...  This story is getting scarier and scarier.

Story 2: PG and Montgomery Counties are requiring employees to take unpaid leave because of the state budget crisis.

Story 3: People aren't able to get jobs anywhere so they are having to commute hundreds of miles just to get a job.

Add to that all the "normal" DC stuff like little kids getting caught in gun crossfire and it makes for a very uplifting evening.  /sarcasm.



No comments:

Post a Comment