Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of classes

Just got back from a productive, albeit short, trip to AC.  I have my first class in a few hours and I have to get to campus a bit early to buy the remainder of my books and to figure out where the heck my new parking spot is (I got one of the coveted Lot 5 passes this year).

It kind of sucks that I don't have a day that I don't need to be on campus this semester, but I wanted to take the formal theory class on Thursdays, and the other classes I didn't really have a choice on.

Monday:


  • 11-11:50am GVPT 475 (lecture for class I am TAing) - The Presidency and the Executive Branch: 

    An examination of the U.S. presidency in historical and contemporary
    perspective: nomination and electoral politics and the president's
    place in policy-making, administration, and public opinion. 



  • 12-1pm GVPT 475 office hours





Tuesday:




  • 3:00-5:40pm SURV 632 - Social and Cognitive Foundations of Survey Measurement:
    Major sources of survey error-such as reporting errors and nonresponse
    bias-from the perspective of social and cognitive psychology and
    related disciplines. Topics: psychology of memory and its bearing on
    classical survey issues (e.g., underreporting and telescoping); models
    of language use and their implications for the interpretation and
    misinterpretation of survey questions; and studies of attitudes,
    attitude change, and their possible application to increasing response
    rates and improving the measurement of opinions. Theories and findings
    from the social and behavioral sciences will be explored.   




  • 6:30-9:30pm GVPT 743 - Contemporary political theory:
    Theorists from Nietzsche (1884-1900) to the present will be covered
    with a focus on the apparent failure of the Enlightenment to usher in
    an age of peace and reason.

     


     





Wednesday:


  • 11-11:50am GVPT 475 (lecture for class I am TAing)





Thursday:


  • 3:30-6:15pm GVPT 831 -
    Formal Theories of Politics I:  Survey of major formal theories of politics, with emphasis on those
    theories based on the assumptions of rationality. The theory of public
    goods, game theory, coalition theory, and the theoretical properties of
    voting systems.






Friday:


  • 10-12:50pm GVPT 475 discussion sections



No comments:

Post a Comment