Tuesday, September 25, 2007

AC Recap

Picked Anne up just after 7:30 on Friday and we headed off to AC for her birthday.  Steve was up there already playing at the Borgata, so when we got to town we dropped off our bags in our room at the Trop and took a cab to the Borgata to meet up with him and to play some poque.



Anne played 10-20 2way and I headed to a deepstack 1/2 NL table.  About an hour in I had won a few pots and then everything started to go downhill.  And such would be the rest of the trip.  It all started with a strange hand where there was a lot of preflop action and I flopped top set on a straightened flop 578).  I found it somewhat unlikely that someone would have played 46 or 69 for the $40 preflop raise...until I remembered that seven of us saw the flop(!).  So here I am with my flopped set...and the button.  First to act bets out, gets raised by the guy next to him, and then they both get reraised AI by the table big stack who has everyone at the table more than covered with his ~$1500 in chips.  This guy, he had been pushing and raising and getting lucky all night.  At this point I had about $150 behind and I'm getting almost 4:1 on my money to call. 



First of all, I have boat outs and as such will actually have more outs on the turn.  Second of all, eventhough I put the big stack on the nuts, it is possible that he doesn't have the nuts; he has made some pushes with the bullshit.  I call pretty fast while mentally pulling my rebuy out of my pocket.



Everyone folds and I am heads up with big stack.  I have been playing tight and right at this table and the two guys sitting next to me immediately inform everyone that I must have the nuts.  Sadly, the big stack then turns over the real nuts and I turn my top set over saying: "No, I'm just trying to get there."



Get there I do not, and I rebuy.  I'm rocking the rebuy almost to even when Steve and Anne come over and say it's time to go (Steve's playing in a big tourney the next day).  I reluctantly get up.  Apparently Cindy Violette was at the Borgata playing stud that night, but I didn't see her.



Steve gives me and Anne a ride back to the Trop and we all crash.  Before we hit the sack, Steve warns me and Anne that he talks in his sleep.  It's a good thing he did because both of us are awakened around 5 am by Steve saying loudly: "WHAT THE HECK IS SHE DOING?!?!?  HER BUTT IS WAY UP IN THE AIR AND HER FOOT IS SMALL."  I hear Anne giggling next to me and I start to giggle too.  Back to sleep...



Around noon Anne leaves for her birthday spa appointment and I head down to the poker room.  There's no point in relating bad beat after bad beat, but I did have the same guy go runners on me THREE TIMES.  One time he had been calling pot sized bets the whole way (I had flopped 2 pair) with ace high, only to go running A8 (his hand).  On the river when he caught I checked and he for some reason checked behind.  As he was scooping the pot he said: "Geez I should have moved all in at the end and stacked you."  I informed him that since there the flush got there on the river I was folding to any bet, hence why I checked.  What else could I put him on but some kind of drawing hand (little did I know his drawing hand was the drawing hand of running two pair)?  He did not buy my story and kept talking about how he missed an opportunity to get my stack.  Finally my temper couldn't hold any more and I told him to keep playing the way he was and I would get his stack.  Then he claimed he had "pot odds" to call me down to the river.  Ummm, no you really didn't but that's OK.  The dude was a stupid angle-shooter anyways - one of the worst purposeful angle-shooters I've seen (ratholing about $300 even after he'd been warned about 5 times by the dealer and the floor, asking to see people's mucked hole cards when he wasn't even in the hand literally every hand, etc.)



Anyways, I blew through two buy ins at that stupid table between noon and 6.  The suckouts just kept on coming, but I didn't want to leave since I felt that I was playing well and the table was very profitable.  Finally my AI push (for about $75 pf) with JJ got called by AKo and KTo.  My next door neighbor told me that he folded K rag, so I was feeling good - I just had to avoid the Aces.  I was good til the river when the case freaking K hits. 



At that point I knew I needed a break ( I could feel the tilt rising inside, LOL) so I got up and went back to the room.  Anne suggested I play in a 3/6 O8 game they had just started and I did.  What a juicy game!!!  Everything was going fine until I bricked on a open ended straight flush draw and immediately after woke up to KK24 double suited.  It was a limped pot and I felt no need to raise.  Flop comes AxKs8s.  All of a sudden I can tell something strange is going on.  I am getting a lot of action from my raises, but the table has been very loose, so I proceed.  Turn is another 8.  Woo-hoo.  But sadly, I start to really think that one of the two people I'm in this pot with has AA in the hole.  I start playing all the action through my head.  Most newbs (and these guys were) wouldn't just limp with AA regardless of whatever else was with it.  At this point the pot is huge and I just can't let go of my hand...not for $6 more anyways.  The flush comes on the river and all of a sudden I know exactly what's going down.  The super new guy made his flush on the river and is in last place.  The other guy has AA.  I just know it.  He shows his AA23 double suited which he only LIMPED WITH and scoops.  I show my stupid cowboys, scoop up the remainder of my chips, and storm out of the room, now definitely tilted.



Fortunately I was supposed to meet Anne for dinner at Red Square in about an hour, so I go upstairs, change and put on some makeup, and go to meet Anne.  We start off with drinks at the bar (which were VERY YUMMY!), Jeff joins us, and we have a meal of appetizers.  Anne and I also split a vodka flight which was pretty good.  At this point Keenan and Nelly show up for a drink.  Apparently E and Billy went straight to the poker room.  Jeff and I pay for Anne and head over to the poker room ourselves.



Now the whole plan was to play some stupid drunken 2/4 limit or something, but when I get there everyone is already in 1/2 games.  I reluctantly sit down at a 1/2 table and stay pretty close to even until suckout number 12 or so of the evening happens.  I go over to Keenan who is sitting at a table near me and ask him how he likes his table.  He says he loves it.  I tell him to lock me up a seat as soon as one opens.



I move over and he is right - his table is awesome.  However, the suckouts/bad luck continues.  I have about $100 behind when I run my AdQd on a Q high flop into Billy's KK.  Fortunately Billy does me a favor and leaves me $50 behind by raising my bet out on the flop.  He raises, I fold, face up, and everyone at the table asks me why I am such a fish for folding the best hand.  Billy shows his KK and then everyone starts telling me that I am a genius and a great player.  *roll eyes*  I only wish making great folds felt as good as winning a monster pot.  THE VERY NEXT HAND I get dealt the same freaking hand - suits and everything: AdQd.  Since I have ~$50 behind I move all in on the flop.  Sadly, Keenan had TT and calls.  I do not improve.



I take a break and tell the dealer to keep my seat locked for me.  I give myself a mental pep talk: "I haven't been playing bad, just getting unlucky.  The table is favorable.  Go in there and rock the rebuy!"  Which I did and ended up with $450 in front of me when the table whale left and a full table literally broke around him at close to 5am.  I played a few hands at another table and decide it is time for bed since I am leaving in the morning.  At least I made back some of what I was stuck...



As an aside, it's been a long time since I was in a poker room dressed up for a night out.  I was wearing a skirt and a low cut silk top, and the reaction you get in the poker room is very noticeably different.  Anne and I both noticed the same thing and were talking about it on the ride home.  Guys actually said: "I would call, but I don't want to beat up on a girl."  Hmmmm... perhaps we ought to dress up every time we play.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment