Friday, June 8, 2007

Time to go to the Bookstore!

Since for the past four years I have been in school, most reading for fun has been put off.  By the time I read everything for school (both required and not) I am usually pretty burnt on reading and use my breaks to do other things like playing video games.  The only free reading I have really done in the past year is cookbooks (which do not count) and poker books (more like self-help books for me, and therefore also do not count LOL).  As a result, I haven't spent that much money on "fun" books the past few years.  I have a whole shelf in my home office dedicated to books I have not yet read and I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more until I made a serious dent in it.



At work this week I've been on site and got permission to bring a book to read during the downtimes since I don't have computer access.  Wednesday I polished off this one - all 400 pages of it in 6 hours; yesterday I finished this one and part of this one.  I'm going to be on site for another week and suddenly it seems like I might empty that shelf which has been growing over the past 4 years. 



When I was younger, I loved to read.  Most of the year I was a library regular, but I looked forward every summer to the trip to the bookstore.  My mom would let me and my sister pick out a few books to buy for our summer vacation and those trips to the bookstore were a big highlight of summer.  I have found the libraries around here to be lacking in selection, but still don't make it to the bookstore that often, except the campus bookstore.  I'm looking forward to making a trip to pick out some books for the boat trip this summer!



And yes, in case you didn't notice, I am a nerd.



2 comments:

  1. I loved those trips too! I'm so glad we grew up in a family where reading was a big deal!! :-)
    P.S. How was Lady and the Unicorn? I've been meaning to read that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good. You can borrow it if you want. I liked it better than "Girl with a Pearl Earring."

    ReplyDelete