Monday, June 25, 2007

Supreme Court Weakens Campaign Finance Laws

The Supreme Court struck down part of McCain-Feingold todaySCOTUS blog has a few insightful analyses (as always...for those interested in such things, I recommend subscribing to this blog with your feed reader).  At first blush, I am not sure how I feel about this ruling, but then again, I have always had mixed feelings on campaign finance regulation.  The libertarian side of me says regulation is inherently bad, but the practical side of me sees the utility of it.  Thoughts from the peanut gallery are encouraged...  If nothing else, this probably means that we will be deluged with swiftboat-esque ads in 2008...especially if you live in a battleground state.



This also reminds me of why political science is so exciting to research...things are constantly changing which means we will never run out of interesting research topics.  Of course, we also have the problem of measurement more than a lot of other social sciences.  How do you measure power exactly?  You could make a career out of that topic and never come up with a good answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment