Wednesday, February 1, 2006

First Listen to "The Life Pursuit"

Yesterday I got a $10 Amazon credit in my inbox from some Xmas gifts I had purchased online.  I knew exactly how to spend it; I went to Amazon and pre-ordered the new Belle and Sebastian (aka my favorite group that still puts out albums) album.  With free Amazon Prime shipping and my $10 credit it was only $3 and change.  Yay!



And ever better - I got a stream of the full album from Amazon, before the official release.  I heart Amazon.



So I've listened to the whole album through once now and while I'm sure my opinions will slightly change as I give it some more listens, here is my initial impression.



This album is definitely in the mold of Dear Catastrophe Waitress.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but I think those of us longing for more a la Tigermilk, and If You are Feeling Sinister, might need to give it up and realize that day might never come.  However, this is not necessarily a bad thing.  One could think of it along the lines of the evolution the Beatles went through.  Rubber Soul and Revolver were rather different than Sgt. Pepper and the White Album, and they are all good albums.  Still on the first listen, I think Dear Catastrophe Waitress has a slight edge over this album.  I listened to that album on repeat for weeks after it came out.  This one isn't grabbing me the same way.  It has a lot of 70's influence - one song sounds like it could be an undiscovered Earth Wind and Fire recording (and yes, I do have some EWF stuff on my ipod) - it is rather disturbing, really.  One thing I really noticed is that Sarah Martin is pretty much just backup to Stuart on this album.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it also seems indicative of the turn B+S has taken since losing Isobel Campbell.  I love Stuart, but I've always been a fan of B+S's interesting female vocal work too. 



As another review I read pointed out - there is still a song about a teenage schoolgirl on this album.  It's just her name is Suki instead of Judy or Lisa, and Suki would probably kick Judy and Lisa's asses and tell them to just get over it.  I think that's sort of an accurate description of this whole album - it's a lot less twee and sentimental than previous albums.



I think it might be a mistake to expect each B+S album to live up to the giddy excitement I felt when I first heard their first 3 albums in 1998.  It's sort of like being in a relationship -- you tend to lose the butterflies you had at the beginning, but that doesn't mean it's not as good as it used to be.



Song by song:
Act if the Apostle: I really like this song.  I like the piano and I like the harmonies, plus they have some great organ going on - classic B+S.  Plus there is a part that makes me laugh everytime I hear it because it sounds exactly like a song in Evita



Another Sunny Day: Again, upbeat and more like "classic" B+S - only more polished and produced.



White Collar Boy: OK, this is definitely the more recent B+S sound.  Plus it sounds disturbingly like something out of a musical.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they stole some of it from Newsies (not really but that was my first thought on hearing this song - it sounds just like some of the ensemble work from Newsies!). 



The Blues are Still Blue: I like this song, but it's not the B+S I am used to.  It sounds sort of like Of Montreal's newest album crossed with 60's pop.

Dress Up in You:
Ah - a beautiful song.  Love the horns.  I have always though B+S's more mellow stuff was among some of their best.



Suki in the Graveyard: Again, awesome organs, this time with some fuzz bass.  Very late 60's/early 70's pop.



We are the Sleepyheads: Would be right at home on Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

Song for Sunshine:
This is the EWF song I mentioned.  Not quite sure what to make of it yet.



Funny Little Frog: The single from this album - again, very much in the mold of Dear Catastrophe Waitress. 

To Be Myself Completely:
Has an opening and background reminiscent of a disco song.  Hmmm...  I am generally a fan of Stevie songs, but this one really could have used some better vocals, imo.



Act of the Apostle II: This song reminds me of "It's Not Easy Being Green", and that is not a good thing.  I like the second part of this song (the reprise of Act of the Apostle) much better than the first.

For the Price of a Cup of Tea:
Boppy and fun, but I could take it or leave it.



Mornington Crescent: Like the guitar, but that's about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment