Sunday, April 29, 2007

Losing touch with old friends and the NKF

I am horrible at keeping in touch with people.  I am one of those bad friends that sends out Xmas cards once a year and maybe an email or two each year to my friends that aren't in the area.  There are even some of my friends in the area that I only see every few months.  I just get too wrapped up in school stuff, especially this time of year.  I need to make a better effort to keep in touch with people.  It's not that I don't care about people (I definitely do)...I don't really have an excuse.  It is something I need to work at.



There are unfortunately more than a few people who I was close with in college who have moved out of the DC area and that I don't even have contact info for anymore.  :(  In the unlikely event that any of you are reading this, please let me know.  I would like to get back in touch.





Anyways, the point of my posting this was that on Wednesday evening, I got an e-mail from a college acquaintance who was fraternity brothers with someone I used to be friends with in college, Kevin.  He told me that Kevin had fallen into a coma as a result of complications with his diabetes affecting his kidneys.  Kevin has since come out of the coma, but I had no idea that Kevin was so sick.  It's made me think a lot about how I need to do a better job of staying in touch with people.  My thoughts are definitely with Kevin and his family. 



Relatedly, my sorority's charity is the National Kidney Foundation and when I was in college I did a lot more charity work on behalf of the NKF (and other organizations).  This is also personal reminder to me to get out and do more volunteer work for causes that are important to me - something I haven't really been doing at all since I left college.




1 comment:

  1. not keeping in touch with people - even good friends and family. hmmm? afraid you inherited that from your mother.
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete