Monday, April 30, 2007

The Lives of Others

Lives_of_others_2
This weekend, Jeff and I went to go see The Lives of Others at AFI Silver.  It won the Oscar this year for best foreign language film, and has gotten amazing reviews.  It's also a political movie, so I was really interested to go see it.  I was kind of sleep deprived, but I dragged Jeff to go see it anyways.



Without giving too much away, the movie is about the East German Secret Police (the Stasi), their observation of an East German playwright and his girlfriend, and on a more philosophical level, what it means to be human. 



As with a lot of super-critically acclaimed movies I have seen recently, I think the build up kind of let me down.  It was certainly a good movie, and one worth seeing, but it wasn't one of the best movies I've ever seen.  Some parts seemed to kind of hit you over the head with the point it was trying to make (like one scene in which the main characters are discussing manipulation of their lives by the government and we see a marionette hung on the wall behind them.  Who hangs marionettes on their wall, even if they are in the theatre???  That just seemed kind of ham-handed to me).  Anyways, I would still recommend it (though be forewarned, some scenes are disturbing).  You can watch the trailer here.  It's only playing at the Silver for another week or so, and no news on when it will be released on DVD (though no doubt it will be).



On another note, I am going to see another movie with Jim and Jill on Wednesday night at the Silver called "The Guatemalan Handshake."  It's the baby of a Silver Spring resident and I guess one of Jim's friends worked on it.  Looking forward to seeing that too.



No comments:

Post a Comment