Monday, April 30, 2007

The Grand

I love Cinematical.  Mainly because I can find out about movies I never would have heard of otherwise.  There haven't been too many poker movies out in the past few years, especially considering the "poker boom" (which is now pretty much on a downswing, but I digress...).  I've been looking forward to Lucky You which is *finally* releasing this upcoming weekend against Spiderman 3 (it was supposed to be released in the Fall of 2006 and then again about a month ago...I was beginning to think it was never coming out), and I just read on Cinematical about another movie I'm going to have to try to hunt down: The Grand



Written by Zak Penn (of X-Men and PCU, and, if you are a complete and total film geek, Incident at Loch Ness fame), this movie looks like it could have real potential.  First of all, it's a mockumentary, a la This is Spinal Tap.  Who doesn't love a good mockumentary?  Second of all, it has a lot of poker pros as well as some fabulous actors in it.  Third, a lot of the film is improv.  Fourth, Woody Harrelson is in it playing a character called "One Eyed Jack."  Cinematical's review is promising.   What is there not to love?



The Grand premiered this weekend at Tribeca.  Hopefully it will be hitting the Silver or some other local theatre soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment