Monday, February 18, 2008

Poker is stupid

Hey mom, don't read this post.  You are going to be sick.  ;)



Over the past two sessions of NLHE:



AA (me) vs. KK.  I lose.  (-~$500) (~80/20 in favor)
AA (me) vs. QT.  I lose.  (-~$400) (~80/20 in favor)
AA (me) vs. AK and an unknown hand.  I win.  (+~$300) (~80/20 in favor, including the random hand)
AA (me) vs. unknown hands.  I win the blinds.  (+~$10)  (no callers)
AJc (me) vs. TT.  I get odds to see a turn.  Get my money in with a J high straight (second nuts) against a set of T's.  I lose to a board pair on the river. (-~$200) (~70/30 in favor)



Well...at least I made some Sklansky dollars this past week.  Can I claim to be running bad when I get dealt AA four times over the course of about 12 hours of play?  (The odds of being dealt AA are 221 to 1 and I probably see somewhere around 20 hands/hour).



And I played all of them as well as I think I could have.  I could have maybe saved $100 on the AA vs. QT hand...





Later in the second session I ship half of my rebuy when I turn a big top two heads up against what turns out to be an OE and a flush draw.  Straight comes on the river and I somehow manage to make a good fold with the best hand I've seen in hours and half of my stack in the middle when I'm stuck.  I called out his hand exactly on the river.  I guess it's a good thing he made his hand obvious, but it's kinda cold comfort making good folds sometimes.

The previous week I have $400 profit in front of me that I've worked hard for.  Four handed, the last hand of the game, I get 77 vs. QQ on a Q76 board.  I cash out +$85.



Award for most frustrating hand of the week doesn't even go to any of the above either. 



I'm badly in need of a double up (triple up really, but who is being greedy?).  Get QQ in the small blind at a table that has folded pf to my last few pf raises...about an hour ago I wanted to cry when my KK took down about $5.  Haven't won any big pot since, but I've been winning enough of the small ones to stay about even.



Decide that since I need a double up(triple, but who is counting), I will limp and take my chances rather than pf raise and have everyone fold (again).  3 limpers, including several people who like to take stabs at pots to the flop.  Q37 rainbow flop.  Beautiful.  I check.  It checks around.  Ummmmmmmm...  hmmmmm.....



6 of meaningless suit on the turn.  I check.  It checks around.   Really???



Board pairing 3 on the river.  OK, OK, I bet a whole $5 ($1 less than a pot sized bet).  Get one caller.  I want to punch something as I take down the $16 pot.  I show my hand to gasps of "Did you limp with those!?!?" 



And for the first time in what is literally about a year and a half I decide to cash out while I'm really stuck...still owing the board even...  I have about half of my board and slightly less than a third of what I'm in the game for in front of me.



Still unsure whether this cash out was a good thing or not.  Game went for two hours after that...but the action was surprisingly pretty dead and I was REALLY frustrated and tired.  I guess it was a good thing, but I startled myself when I got up from the table.



I've been playing such solid poker the past week and a half...some of the best consistent playing I've played in awhile.  So how am I stuck ~$800 for that same period?



No comments:

Post a Comment