Sunday, February 10, 2008

Philly

Had a good impromptu trip to Philly last night with Anne.  I met up with her at our hotel and then we cabbed over to Tattooed Mom, a really awesome bar with friendly people and great ambiance.  It reminded me a lot of a coffee shop on Syracuse's campus that I used to hang out at in high school when we were not in the mood to hang out in someone's basement or the local diners...lots of couches and comfy places to just chill and have a beer.  Anne also introduced me to blueberry flavored vodka, which is definitely something I'm going to have to pick up the next time I'm at a liquor store.  I bet it would be really good with Red Bull.



After we closed down the bar, we had an interesting walk back to our hotel which included conversations with three random groups of people...something that probably would not happen in DC...unless you were on the last metro train home. 



When we finally woke up and checked out around noon, we headed to a brick-oven pizza place around the corner and had some really great pizza.  In my opinion, good pizza starts with a good crust, and the crust on this pizza was perfect.  Crispy and chewy all at once.  As we people watched and ate our pizza, I was again reminded of how un-city like DC is in so many respects.  It's hard to find good pizza around here and there certainly aren't any Mom and Pop pizza places where you could show up on a Sunday after a night of drinking.



After pizza, Anne took me to Monk's, a bar known for it's Belgian beers, and I had a pint of their own Belgian sour ale which was really unlike anything I'd ever tasted before.  Kinda sweet and sour beer.  Interesting.  After that, we called it a day.  I ended up getting home around 3, popping in a few of the dvds I had from Netflix, and getting some school work done. 



One of my friends from college is from Philly and he is always talking off someone's ear about how great his hometown is.  Every time I go to Philly I am reminded that he is right.



No comments:

Post a Comment