Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pot Limit Omaha/Hold Em and Pink

So...I ended up making $220 at the monthly PLO/PLHE game last night.  I certainly do not claim to be an expert at this game, but I do think it is a pretty juicy game if you have some clue of how to play since unlike hold em, so many people have even less of a clue than me.



After playing in this particular game for the first time last month, I completely changed my strategy this month.  I think the new strategy works a lot better, though it still needs some fine tuning.  There were a couple times I got greedy and bet too much when I should have slow played a made hand, but that is yet another lesson learned (hopefully). 



In other news, the past few months, I really feel like I have nailed down a good strategy at the pink game (5-10 crazy pineapple 8b/omaha 8b/stud 8b with a half kill played with pink chips...a very, very sick game).  If I am sticking to my strategy, I can consistently add chips to my stack.  Sadly, as night turns to morning I either 1) don't appropriately adjust to the fact that there are fewer players in the game, 2) fall in love with my beautiful starting hands, and refuse to listen to my own reads when it becomes clear that someone has beat me on some kind of completely donkey move, 3) go on tilt when this happens, 4) start playing tilty, catch-up, "I just need to scoop one pot, so I can play this horrible starting hand all the way to the river even though I have not improved and don't even care how I need to improve" poker, and/or 5) refuse to protect my chips against the normal swings in this game, by causing stupid and unnecessary downswings in my stack from all of the above.  Playing this game, at least the way I want to play it, requires so much discipline and I just really need to learn that after playing for 7-8 hours, I need to learn that it is OK to get up and leave the game when I am starting to slip into bad habits.  The action is just so hard to leave when you know you can pick up $200+ with one scooping hand.  That is what makes this game the best game I have ever played, but it can also make it one of the most frustrating if you start playing stupidly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment