Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Weekly Recipe: BBQ chicken pizza

OK, so this is not exactly a gourmet recipe, but it is good and fast.  I have been cooking a lot of chicken recently and I have gotten pretty bored of the standard chicken dishes I make, but I don't have a lot of time to go looking for new things.  I stopped at Trader Joe's on my way home (I love that store!  I can buy all kinds of yummy, unique food, and I always manage to leave with a bag full of stuff for under $30) and bought some of their pre-made pizza dough (whole wheat, though they have regular too) which retails for a whopping $.75.  This stuff is awesome.  I make sure to always keep some around.  The whole wheat dough is some of the best I have had - on par with the honey wheat dough at CPK, though not as sweet which is fine with me.



But to get back to the recipe...



So I bought some whole wheat pizza dough and some 3 cheese blend (colby, monterey jack, and mozz) and headed home.  I carmelized half of a sweet onion left over in the fridge from last night's dinner and then added the chicken I took out of the freezer this morning cut up into small pieces and cooked it til it was done.  I spread out the dough on a cookie sheet (using Pam with flour on the sheet first - this is very important, otherwise you will have a pizza stuck to the sheet!), topped it with my favorite sweet BBQ sauce, the cheese, and the chicken and onions.  Baked it at 425 for 10 minutes and voila.



Considering I just made it up on the fly, it was really good.  It would have been better with some fresh cilantro, but alas, I didn't have any.



To recap:
whole wheat pizza dough
Pam with flour (or just regular flour)
2 chicken breast halves, diced
1/2 large sweet onion
BBQ sauce
shredded cheese



Preheat oven to 425.  Carmelize the onion.  Add the chicken and cook til done.  Spray a cookie sheet with Pam with flour (or a pizza pan if you have one - I always just use a rimmed cookie sheet).  Spread the dough out on the sheet.  Top with BBQ sauce, cheese, and chicken/onions.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Cut into 8 pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment