Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The New World

Jeff and I just got back from the DC premier of The New World at AFI Silver.  It's currently scheduled for wide release 1/20, but that is the third date that has been mentioned (previously was supposed to open in November, then 1/13, now 1/20).  It has been playing in NY/LA since right after Christmas. 



First of all, let me say that this is definitely no action movie.  I was a little afraid Jeff wouldn't like it as we were watching it, but he claims he did.  Maybe I can convince him to start going to see chick flicks like Pride and Prejudice with me now.  After all, he did go see The Family Stone with me and my mom.  ;)  Be warned that it is a very artsy movie - it almost reminded me of a foreign film at times.  Nonetheless (or perhaps because of), I really enjoyed the movie a lot.  The cinematography was just beautiful, and it actually made me wish that the American frontier still existed (that sounds so cheesy, I know).  For the hard core trivia fans out there, this is also the first movie in 9 years to shoot on 65mm film for non-effects shots.  A shiny nickle to anyone who knows what the last movie (released in 1996) was.



In terms of acting, I usually don't like Colin Farrell, but he wasn't bad in this movie (how is that for a ringing endorsement).  K'Orianka Kiltcher (Pocahontas) was amazing.  And I just recently found out that she is like 15, which blows me away.



I also liked the score (by James Horner) though Jeff gave it a thumbs down for "hurting his ears".  LOL



1 comment:

  1. yes - you win the nickel! i will mail it to you, but you will need to pay the postage. ;)

    ReplyDelete