Sunday, January 29, 2006

Damn You, Kristin Chenoweth!

I've wanted to go see "Wicked" since it opened.  Unfortunately with school and everything, I haven't gotten to see it yet.  And I generally don't like to listen to Musical Cast Recordings without having first seeing the musical.  But I was listening to NPR the other day in the car and they were playing "Popular" from Wicked.



Any followers of musical theater will know that Kristin Chenoweth plays Glinda in "Wicked".  "Popular" is a song in which Glinda (the villain in "Wicked") very obnoxiously makes over Elphaba (aka the Wicked Witch).



And anyone who has ever been in the room with me when Kristin Chenoweth has been on tv knows that she annoys the crap out of me.  Yes, she has a good voice.  An awesome voice, actually.  But she is so over the top treacly!  It makes me want to gag whenever I see her.  She pretty much ruined what could have been a good version of The Music Man (with Matthew Broderick) and one of the 4th of July shows on the Mall.  And then she had to show up on the West Wing.  Puke.



When I heard "Popular" on the radio, I realized what was wrong.  Kristin Chenoweth, you were born to play the villain.  No one wants to see you play Marian the Librarian.  And I actually like you as a villain.  You are great as the person everyone loves to hate.



Does this mean I might actually have to say I like Kristin Chenoweth now?



No comments:

Post a Comment