Saturday, November 5, 2005

Good Night and Good Luck - That's What Someone Should Have Said as I Entered the Theater

I'm really not sure why this movie won so many awards and has garnered so much critical acclaim.  Yes, the cinematography is great.  It is a film full of eye candy.  However, there is not much substance. 



The supposed point of the film (a commentary on the role of journalism in a democracy) is about as subtle as a mack truck.  None of the characters are developed, let alone well developed.  It's a shame too because you get the feeling there are some interesting stories to be told there.  At several points I thought: "Oh good, now I will figure out what the deal is with (fill in character's name here).", but no such luck. 



The few redeeming things: the interesting and effective use of actual news footage, the performance given by David Strathairn, and the soundtrack.



I hardly ever say this, but I should have waited for the DVD. 



No comments:

Post a Comment