Friday, November 11, 2005

Celebrating our 4th: Indebleu

Yesterday was our fourth wedding anniversary.  Instead of exchanging gifts, we usually go out to a swanky restaurant.  I was really excited to try Indebleu after hearing a few positive reviews from some friends.  Plus, I love Indian and French food, and the idea of fusing the two together was intriguing.



I have to say, I was slightly disappointed in the food.  Not that any of it was bad; it was all quite good.  But none of it left me thinking: "Wow, I have to come back here to try this again."  With so many restaurants to explore, Indebleu didn't make it onto my must return list.



The positives:



  • The service.  General Manager Jay Coldren's training at the Inn at Little Washington shows.  The service at Indebleu was probably the best I have had at any restaurant.  Ever.  The several waiters assisting us were very attentive, and friendly, but also non-intrusive.  Definitely five stars for service.


  • The naan.  A waiter continuously walked through the dining room giving diners fresh, warm, buttery naan seasoned with rosemary.  Wow - this was good.  I think I ate 4 pieces.


  • The wine list.  Holy moley - we didn't have any, but the wine list here is one of the most extensive I have seen.  I think it was even better than the wine list at California Grill.


  • The bathroom.  After last month's trip to Zola, this was actually a bathroom to be proud of!  Unique faucets and cameras that broadcast your image to a flat panel screen over the sink (while you are washing your hands, NOT while you are going to the bathroom!).  Along with the bill (tax was listed are "IRS BS" and the final total was "the dough you owe"), the bathroom made it clear that the people at Indebleu have a sense of humour.


Jeff and I each had a three course meal.  Jeff went for the lobster and crab starter and I had the scallops.  Jeff's was very good.  Mine was only OK.  I didn't care for the sauce.  As an entree Jeff had the veal and I had the lamb.  My lamb was excellent, and the side of lentils was very tasty.  For dessert I decided to be adventurous and so I ordered the saffron-cardamom ice cream "spaghetti" which was served in a press and a side of gulab jamun "meatballs".  The waiter pressed the ice cream out onto the plate so it looked like spaghetti.  I liked the taste of the gulab jamun, but the ice cream tasted off.  I like saffron and cardamom, but I didn't enjoy the taste of the ice cream.  Jeff had the pear ginger crumble, which he said was good.



Overall - I would go back, but only if someone else was paying.  ;)



1 comment:

  1. The veal was very good. Plus Caity tells me that part of my entree was made of ground-up "innards" so that's a bonus. Hmm... I'm coming across as uncultivated here, aren't I?
    The service did rock. I think I had 8 pieces of that naan. Near the end though, I was just eating it to see how quickly another one would appear. I think the record was about 2 seconds - I wasn't done chewing the last bit of the previous one before a new one landed. I was severly tempted to start tossing them under the table to see how long I could keep them putting more on the table... "Mr. Baxter, sir, we've noticed that you've had over 500 pieces of naan - and that it's spilling out from under the table."

    ReplyDelete