Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Retirement Plan

At WPBT I shared my retirement plan with @realdawnsummers and generously told her that she could be a co-author.  You see, I have this idea that if I get a book of terrible-but-OK-sounding poker advice published, then not only will I have royalties, but people will play worse.  It's the perfect storm of money-making, right?  ;)

So at WPBT Dawn and I were constantly saying things like "Oh, that's chapter 5..." whenever someone at our table said something idiotic (full chapter list forthcoming).

This morning I awake to see this on Twitter:

realdawnsummers

@caitycaity "No, no, you gotta play for them gutshots, you gotta. If you fold, they hit." -Genius to my left: Chapter 13

Perhaps this can be a two-part chapter, or maybe we can have a whole section on gutshots and how to play them because we have to include a discussion of the "gutflush."

The "gutflush" is something made famous by MD Poker's own Rockin' Moroccan, Ali.  The very first time I played with Ali, I flopped top set on a board with a gutshot draw.  We get all money in, his gutshot gets there...  This was several years ago, before I got divorced, and when I still used to berate bad play at the table.  So Ali's gutshot got there and I start asking him WTF.

He looks me dead in the eye and says very seriously: "Well Katie, I had a gutflush."

"WTF is a gutflush, Ali? THERE WAS NOT A FLUSH DRAW ON BOARD."

"No, no...a gutflush is when you have a gutshot draw and you feel it is going to get there...in your gut."

This stunned me into silence.  Not an easy feat.

These days, Ali and I joke about the gutflush, and honestly, when he is betting big in PLO, I usually give him credit.  But the gutflush definitely has to be in The Book.



No comments:

Post a Comment