Friday, October 9, 2009

Random trip to Gettysburg

Excuse my maudlin nature earlier in the week.  Soon after, I pulled myself out of slump with the assistance of some friends.  I was also reminded of my own catchphrase: it could always be worse.  Indeed.  I have my health; I'm smart; I have awesome family and friends... everything else is just not worth worrying about (says the natural born worrier).

So, yesterday I felt the need to get out of the house.  If you know me, you know I am prone to boredom and love to take little random trips.  I'll wake up in the morning and think "I should drive to Cleveland to go see the RNR HOF!"  It's one of my charming quirks.  ;)

Ever since Al, Jen, and Dan came to DC for poker week at the end of July, I've been thinking I should really get downtown and see the new Newseum.  I also have a list of things that have somehow eluded me seeing them in the 13+ years I've lived here.  Did I do either one of those?  No, I decided to go to Gettysburg instead.  

I'm a Civil War buff and I have been since like 8th grade (here is where Billy would sing the nerd song, LOL).  I've been to every major Civil War battlefield at least once, and a lot of Revolutionary ones too (thank you traveling to random places for work!).  The last time I was at Gettysburg was on my high school senior class trip though, so I thought I'd give it another go.  It's actually not far at all from MD...I got there in about 1.5 hours.  I packed a picnic, put my convertible roof down, and set off to PA for the day.

First off, I was surprised by how crowded it was on a random Thursday in October.  It was me and all the retirees, but I had to park in the third overflow parking lot.  They have a new visitors center which is really nice, including a new movie with Sam Waterston and Morgan Freeman and a new set up for the cyclorama, which is really amazing.

Then I picked up the self-tour audio cds and set about driving all over the battlefield.  What a great way to spend a few hours on a gorgeous fall afternoon.  Recommended.  If you do the self-drive, make sure you get out, especially at Devil's Den and Little Roundtop.  The views of the PA countryside were amazing.

Next up on my fall random trips list: Appomattox, Skyline Drive, Monticello (which amazingly I have never been to before!)



No comments:

Post a Comment