Sunday, April 26, 2009

Get Katie a job, win a _______.

I stole this title from a friend of mine's AIM status.  He had been looking for a job for the past 5 months and just recently found a great one.  Instead of a blank, his said "Find Drew a job, win a pizza."  I'm willing to spring for more than pizza.  Free bar tab for the night, perhaps? 

I have been actively looking for a job for the past few weeks.  I forgot how awful the job hunt was.  When I got my first "real" (i.e. with benefits) job out of college, it took me almost 6 months of sending out 10 resumes a day and several interviews to finally get hired.  Now that I have some real experience, I figured it would take less time, but I guess I underestimated how bad the economy is.  I was looking at jobs on Craigslist the other day and even the PT food service jobs say things like: "barista with 3 years of Starbucks experience wanted" and "Quiznos hiring experienced sub makers."  It's actually the last post that pushed me over the edge and made me write this post.  Experienced sub makers???  Really???

Ideally I would like a part time job, but I'm coming to the realization that a full time job is probably going to be a lot easier to land. 

It is 100% true that it is easier to find jobs through connections than cold calls, so if you know of something for the summer, please let me know.  I'm a hard worker and I don't mind doing dirty, boring, or mindless work.  I'm fairly certain that everyone I've ever worked for would give me a stellar recommendation.  Also, I'm not limiting myself to the DC area.  I'm very open to the possibility of relocating for the summer.  And I'll happily work for as little as $10/hour (depending on the job, obviously).

So...  help me get a job, win a pizza, bar tab, trip to the movies... fill in the blank.



No comments:

Post a Comment