Thursday, August 9, 2007

Bleachy swimming pool in basement

So Jeff is out of town and I have to work 7 days/week from 3-11 plus a 30+ minute commute.  I can't call in sick and there is no one to cover my shift.



What better time for our basement plumbing to get all f-ed up!



A few months ago, someone in our house who shall remain nameless, but is not me, stopped up our basement toilet.  No worries, thought I.  This is certainly not the first time the toilet has been stopped up.  So I got the plunger and thought I solved it.  Until a few hours later I noticed a bad smell coming from the bathroom.  Suffice it to say the toilet somehow backed up into the shower.  Um - yuck.



Rather than call a plumber, it was fixed with a bottle of Drano.  Huzzah!



So a few days ago we get back from vacation and I notice the downstairs toilet is stopped up again.  I stupidly think nothing of it.



Until today when I attempt to take a shower in the basement bathroom and realize that it is not draining.  Shower attempt aborted.



Drano to the rescue again!  Except the Drano doesn't work...



So I go upstairs to shower because I am running late for work.  Did I mention that I also had a load of white towels in the washer?  So after I take my shower I realize I left some work stuff in the basement and run down to get it.  Umm - why is there soapy, bleachy water all over the floor?  Oh look, all the water from the laundry and my shower has backed up into the shower and the drain in the floor by the furnace.  Lovely.



At this point I pray it doesn't get any worse, shut off the laundry, and run off to work.



I come home around 11:30pm.  It's not exactly worse, but there is still a ton of water on the floor.



2 rolls of paper towels, 1 whole box of Scott rags in a box, and every towel in the house later, there is no water on my floor.  I make sure the dehumidifier is on and call it a night.  The plumber is supposed to come in the morning - before I have to go to work.



The vinyl tile on the bathroom floor is gonna have to be redone, I'm probably going to have to buy some new towels, and one of my favorite shirts fell victim to bleach stains.  But I guess it could have been worse.



I really hope the plumber can fix everything before work!




1 comment:

  1. That sucks!! I hope everything worked out. How was the trip with mom and dad? John and I leave on Saturday morning to meet up with them.

    ReplyDelete