Sunday, June 25, 2006

red paint - the bane of my existence

Just a word of warning - if you ever get the genius idea to paint a room red, don't do it unless you are willing to put in 4 times more labor than any other pain would require.  I recently saw a great room in a pottery barn catalogue that was painted red with all white furniture.  All my office furniture is white so i decided to try it.  I mean, that picture looks so good! First of all there is the tinted primer.  At this point I wonder how many coats we would have needed if we didn't use the tinted primer.  Yikes.  Then, the color I wanted was only available in semi-gloss/gloss.  As we all discovered, gloss paint is sort of a pain to work with.  It tends to get gloppy pretty easily and will run if you are not careful.  Right now there are 3 coats of paint in addition to the primer and I'm going back for the final inspection this morning.  Last night the areas where I cut in still looked a little blotchy.  Do I really care?  Do I really want to put a 4th coat on by myself (I told Jeff he was free after 3 coats and the primer)?  I am so sick of painting!  I probably should have started painting my kitchen cabinets before we actually moved in since that is something I wanted to do, but between being sick of painting due to the red paint in my office and the fact that I am supposed to be taking a 1 day business trip to Chicago on Tuesday, the kitchen looks like it will be staying exactly the same - ugly cabinets, sink, and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment