Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Went to see this last night.  It was really good.  Unfortunately, it was not quite as good as Lord of the Rings, a movie that it will undoubtedly be compared to.  The LOTR books themselves are probably a little richer than the Chronicles of Narnia, and that shows up on the big screen.  I have to say, I personally enjoyed LWW more than Lord of the Rings, but I know I am biased as the Chronicles of Narnia (specifically LWW) were some of my favorite books growing up. 



Two notable things: Aslan - the CGI was amazing.  In most scenes, I would not have known they were not using a real lion.  There was one part in particular where you could see individual hairs in his mane move - awesome!  The script was also really good.  id odn't remember how many of the one liners came out of the books, but I was snorting (and outright laughing) in several places.



Two things that could have been improved: The score was really lacking.  After seeing LOTR (for example), I rushed out to buy the score on cd.  I don't even remember the music from LWW and this is definitely the kind of movie that could have used some strong musical themes.  Also, one of the most climactic scenes of the book (won't spoil it here) was not as moving as it should have been, imho.



Nonetheless, I definitely think people should go see this movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment